Added to Wishlist
- Sea of Rust – C. Robert Cargill. The cover alone makes me want to read this.
- Starlings – Jo Walton. New Jo Walton book!!!
- Tangleweed and Brine – Deirdre Sullivan. Feminist retellings of fairytales – yes, yes, yes.
- Defender – G.X. Todd. Beware the voices inside your own head.
- The Wordsmith – Patricia Forde. The idea of a society where only 500 ‘sanctioned’ words are allowed honestly gives me shivers.
- Before Mars – Emma Newman. Anna’s memories are unreliable and I am totally into it.
- Moxie – Jennifer Mathieu. Teen girl creates feminist ‘zine. Yaaasss! Reminds me a bit of Plain Janes which I now really want to reread.
- The Hearts We Sold – Emily Lloyd-Jones. Dee sells her heart to a demon. Strong beginning, so let’s hope the rest of the book lives up to it.
- Mr. Dickens and His Carol – Samantha Silva. The story behind the story and it sounds suitably festive.
- The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling – Maryrose Wood. The cover/title combo is enough to make me want to pick this up, but it also sounds like a charmingly strange read.
- Barbary Station – R.E. Stearns. Station AI tries to kill everyone. No need to tell me any more details!
- Machine Learning – Hugh Howey. I still haven’t read Sand, but that’s not gonna stop me adding this to my obnoxiously large wishlist.
- A Lot Like Christmas – Connie Willis. I didn’t know that Christmas sci-fi was a thing <3 <3 <3
- Cry Your Way Home – Damien Angelica Walters. The cover is amazing, and the blurb is intriguing so I have high hopes for this.
- We See Everything – William Sutcliffe. I’m planning on doing a post on surveillance society dystopias for Sci-Fi Month (have you signed up yet? You should!) and this looks like it’ll fit right in.
Articles of Note
- Celebrities You Never Realised Wrote Children’s Books. Not mentioned, but still mind-boggling: Madonna, Jordan/Katie Price and Frank Lampard. I don’t have a problem with celebrities writing children’s books in theory, but when the books are ghostwritten and they negatively impact non-celebrity writers, I’m not so keen.
- It’s 2017 and Some Major Hollywood Star Still Won’t Call Themselves Feminists. Rage. Can we please stop misunderstanding the definition of feminism? Thanks.
- Here are the Details on the Seven Referendums in the Next Two Years. Feck’s sake. I’m assuming they’ll combine some of these but still. At least we’re allowed to have referendums, I suppose, unlike Catalonia.
- Judy Blume’s Fight Against Censorship. Confession: I have never read a Judy Blume book.
- 11 Young Adult Books That Are Well Worth Reading At Any Age. I’ve only read two of these (honestly, Looking for Alaska is okay but it’s not great), have one in my TBR pile and one on my wishlist so I have lots to catch up on!
- Blueberry and White Chocolate Cake. Two of my favourite underrated ingredients in one delicious cake.
- Thick S’mores Brownies. Um, YUM.
- 5 Ingredient Breaded Lemon Chicken. I might be a tad overly excited to try this.
- Lemon and Rosemary Marshmallows. Adding these to the list of marshmallows that I will make ONE DAY.
- Champagne Layer Cake. Simple but tasty by the looks of it.
- How to Make a Hansel and Gretel Cake. LOOK AT THIS! There’s no way that any version I’d make would ever look like this, but I am absolutely going to try my best and then cry when it’s not as impressive.