Still not fixed those social media buttons. Procrastination, thy name is Lorraine!
Added to Wishlist
- Madonna in a Fur Coat – Sabahattin Ali. I read this article over on the BBC the other day and was intrigued. I’ve never heard of Madonna in a Fur Coat before but I love its revolutionary history.
- The Sunlight Pilgrims – Jenni Fagan. A freak winter hits the world and we follow a small Scottish community through it. Scottish sci-fi = <3
- Good Morning, Midnight – Lily Brooks-Dalton. Another sci-fi read, split between a remote scientist and a group of stranded astronauts. Sounds great and it has a beautiful cover.
Articles of Note
- British Execute Insurgents Involved in Dublin Rising – Archive. How interesting to see that even at the time, people were questioning the wisdom on the executions of the leaders of the 1916 Rising.
- 101 Guide to a Successful Bookstagram – Photography Tips and More! Some hints and tips on how to run a winning bookish Instagram account from Evie Seo over at Bookish Lifestyle.
- The ‘Perfect Body’ is a Lie. I Believed it for a Long Time and Let it Shrink My Life. An interesting article on weight and our perceptions of it. I’m tempted to pick up Lindy West’s book after reading this extract.
- Jodi Foster Says Male Filmmakers Rely Too Often on Trauma as a Female Character Motivation. Poorly written headline apart, preach, Jodi!
- The Personal SOS Messages the BBC Used to Send. I had no idea that this was a thing. How terrifying must it have been to suddenly hear your name on the radio unexpectedly?
- 10 Book Lists to Check Out. Annika over at The Perpetual Page-Turner has put together a wonderful selection of reading lists possibly in the hope of driving us all daft as our wishlists start to collapse under their own weight 😉
- Top 10 Novels About Women’s Political Awakening. I haven’t read any of these. Shame on me!
- Ideal Bookshelf. I want to buy pretty much all of the badges on this site.
- Easy Grilled Pineapple Ricotta Cake. The name of this alone makes my mouth water a bit.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Balls. So, so moreish.
- Black and Blue Julep. Perfect for the sunny days we’re enjoying right now.
- Tropical Peach Pineapple Slushies. With this much fruit, the alcohol becomes healthy, right?
- Blueberry Glazed Doughnut Muffins. I don’t even know what to say about these *grabby hands*
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Meringue Brownies. So rich, so gorgeous, so ridiculously good looking.
I’ve been trying to delete some stuff of my Virgin box which is currently at 80% capacity – eep! So far I’ve been doing okay. I caught up with the new seasons of American Dad and Catfish (what was with the episode with the woman who claimed to be channeling the girls’ dead father??????), plus the first season of Killjoys (which I had a few issues with but managed to mostly enjoy), and the final season of Fresh Meat (don’t leave me, Vod!). All of which brings me on to Supergirl. I’ve only watched the first episode so far, but I really enjoyed it. The cast is awesome and I’m into the feel of the world in general. Plus, they made Jimmy Olson smokin’ hot so that’s cool.