You can maybe tell that I haven’t settled on a posting schedule yet, but I’ll get there. Some day.
Added to Wishlist
- The Keeper of Lost Things – Ruth Hogan. The main character keeps an inventory of all the lost objects he finds. I honestly didn’t need to read any further before adding this to my wishlist.
- A Line Made By Walking – Sara Baume. A story for anyone who had ever been lost by a critically acclaimed Irish author. Sounds good to me.
- Queer, There and Everywhere: 22 People Who Changed the World – Sarah Prager. There can never be too many books like this and this one looks particularly charming.
- The Guns Above – Robyn Bennis. In my continuing quest to find a steampunk novel that I actually really like, I have high hopes for this. If nothing else, it’s got an eye-catching cover.
- The Wages of Sin – Kaite Welsh. I don’t read a great deal of crime, but I can’t resist a book where the protagonist is one of the first women to study medicine at Edinburgh University. This looks so good.
- The Clown Egg Register – Luke Stephenson. Clowns have to register their make-up (on eggs!!) to avoid accidental copycatting. I had no idea that that was a thing but I love it!
- The Zoo – Christopher Wilson. A Goodreads review describes this as ‘a farcical romp through the last days of Stalin’s reign of terror’ which had me clicking ‘Want to Read’ without a second thought.
- A Soldier’s Duty – Jean Johnson. A precog at war – yay! Unless it’s Marvel’s Civil War II, I’m always up for a story involving precognition.
Articles of Note
- The Best YA Books of 2016. A couple of these are already on my wishlist, and a couple need to get added ASAP, but I’ve read a grand total of 0 books from this list. SIGH.
- A Brief History of Amazing Women in Glasgow. I’d only heard of a handful of these amazing women, and I’m always looking to know more about them.
- An Irish Writers Poster: Spot the Difference. I LOVE this. The original, all-male, poster is everywhere in Ireland from classrooms to pubs and this response is long, long overdue.
- Celebrating Mighty Women in Science. Okay, so in your quest to have (free!) feminist posters everywhere in your house, we’ve covered authors, so let’s move on to scientists.
- Brian K. Vaughan Recommends 10 Comics You Need to Read – Because They’re Awesomely Unadaptable. Joe Sacco’s work is fantastic. If you’re into unflinching journalistic accounts of war zones and political fuck ups go pick something of his up right now. Warren Ellis’ Injection is also a really solid sci-fi read. And I haven’t read anything else on the list. I remember a time when the amount of graphic novels available seemed limited and conquerable…
- 12 Books to Read If You’re a Fan of American Gods & 32 Books for American Gods Fans. Before you get too excited, the second link’s name is totally misleading – it’s really ‘9 Book Series for American Gods Fans’. Anyway, 44 books and how many have I read? 0.5 (I started but never finished Anansi Boys for inexplicable reasons).
- 13 Artists Create Original Covers for Their Favourite Books. The Anne of Green Gables one is so wonderfully 70s <3
- What Do Legal Deposit Libraries Do With Dustjackets? This makes me ache for all the covers we’ve lost, but it’s so interesting!
- Are You Here for Seth MacFarlane’s Star Trek Parody TV Show? I’m cautiously optimistic.
- Pineapple Decanter. LOOK AT THIS! IT’S AMAZING!! (Note: My feelings about Pineapple-shaped objects are not usually so strong.)
- Arrested Development Season 5 is Coming to Netflix. Yay! I recently watched the whole thing for the first time and loved it, even if season 4 was patchy.
- Librarians v Comics: Glasgow Libraries. I might have a review in this. Maybe.
- Roasted Tomato Dressing. I have no time for salads but I get that I need to make time for them. Maybe this will help.
- Sriracha Ranch Dressing. For pizza! And salads. But FOR PIZZA!
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Bowl. This looks so fresh and tasty.
- Chicken Teriyaki. I used to eat chicken a few times a week, but now I lean more towards red meat. I think it might be time to lean back (although bird flu is a thing again, I think, and all the chickens are being kept indoors. Sadness. She says thinking about how she wants to eat them.)
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts. I never know what to eat asparagus with, so this is definitely worth a try. (CHEESE.)
- Mountain Punch Cocktail. This looks delicious. And it has jalapenos in it, so that’s… interesting.
- Unicorn Cookie Cake Toppers. <3 <3 <3