Added to Wishlist
- Gwen John: A Life – Sue Roe. I hadn’t heard of Gwen John before reading/listening to A History of Britain in 21 Women (I also hadn’t heard of her (more famous) brother, which made me feel a bit better about it) but I was instantly intrigued by her.
- The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir – Jennifer Ryan. This sounds heart-warming in the extreme.
- The Struggle for Catalonia: Rebel Politics in Spain – Raphael Minder. Events in Catalonia at the moment have made me unspeakably angry, as have the UK’s response to them (hang on, I don’t know what Ireland’s response was… upon googling, it’s very slightly better but not by much), but I realise there’s a lot I don’t understand about what’s happening over there.
- Baba Dunja’s Last Love – Alina Bronsky. The cover! The blurb!!
- The Rest of Their Lives – Jean-Paul Didierlaurent. I was utterly charmed by The Reader on the 6.27 so I have high hopes for this.
- The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night – Jen Campbell. I’m a sucker for that title.
Articles of Note
- Spy Mystery of British Sisters Who Helped Jewish Refugees Flee the Nazis. Amazing.
- Graphic Short Story: If You’re So Wise, How Come You’re Dead? A delightful short comic by Tor Freeman.
- Me and My Pencil: Famous Creatives on Their Tools (In Pictures). I’m not sure why I find this so fascinating but I really, really do.
- The Irishman Who Broke the Nazi Code. He cracked something Bletchley Park couldn’t, and yet I’d not heard of him before reading this.
- 21st Century Ireland in 21 Artworks. What a wonderful series. I’m particularly taken with ‘Boy’ by Geraldine O’Neill.
- Brave Enough to be Angry. Female anger exists so let’s stop pretending it doesn’t (sidenote: watch Fleabag to immerse yourself in the story of a woman absolutely brimming over with rage in a way that few female characters are allowed to be).
- 40 of the Best Songs Inspired by Books. The more you know.
- The French Bake Off Did Halloween Bakes and They’re All Pretty Horrific. Late to the party with this one but yay!
- 24 Books That Won NaNoWriMo. I had no idea The Night Circus started out as a NaNo project!