Hello! It’s been so long since I last posted that you may have forgotten who I am. My name is Lorraine, I’m from Ireland but I live in Scotland, and I occasionally blog about books. If you have me on Goodreads, you may have noticed my ‘want to read’ list exploding recently. That’s because I was catching up on all your blog posts. I only started commenting on posts from the end of April but I read everything I missed since I last actively blogged. You’re welcome 😉 Okay, enough waffling – it’s time to restart this blog and what better way than with a Weekly Miscellany post that’s been sitting on my computer since late November. Timely, I think you’ll agree.
Added to Wishlist
- The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf – Ambelin Kwaymullina. Written by an Indigenous Australian author and set in a dystopian future. Yeah, that’s sounds kinda okay or something…
- Footnotes from the World’s Greatest Bookstores – Bob Eckstein. I can never resist a book about books.
- Admiral – Sean Danker. Mind-wiped sci-fi – yaaasss!!!
- Torchship – Karl Gallagher. I am all about a mix of space opera and hard sci-fi. Bring it on!
- The Crown’s Game – Evelyn Skye. The reviews for this are beyond mixed but, having a weakness for fiction set in Russia, I’m still hopeful.
- The Upside of Unrequited – Becky Albertalli. This one doesn’t even need an explanation, does it?
- A Curious Beginning – Deanna Raybourn. Although they’re only vaguely historically accurate, the Lady Julia Grey series was a lot of fun so I’m hoping this new series will be too.
Articles of Note
- Mike Pence’s DC Neighbours Raise the Trolling Bar with Rainbow Flags. Still hilarious all these months later.
- Broomsticks, T-Shirts and Coffee: What Every Feminist Wants for Christmas. What every feminist wants at any time of the year, to be fair.
- To Kill a Mockingbird Removed From Virginia Schools for Racist Language. I still can’t quite believe this one.
- It’s Not Just A Christmas Ad – It’s a Polish Grandpa’s Heartbreaking Gift to Britain. My heart, people, my heart!
- Books to Buy This Christmas, Part One & Part Two. There’s a book on this list called Bolloxology. If that doesn’t draw you in, I don’t know what will.
- 13 Years After Iraq, the Marines of Generation Kill Regret Nothing. Have you read and/or watched Generation Kill? You really, really need to if you haven’t.
- Here’s What Happens After Guy Fieri Visits a Restaurant. People are so down on reality television, but this is actually quite heart-warming.
- Negasonic Teenage Warhead Will Return for Deadpool 2. Yay!
- This Gaeilgeoir Had the Best Response for a Man Who Questioned her ‘Irishness’. We’ve managed to cover it up pretty well internationally, but Ireland is a deeply racist country.
- 11 Stirring Books Every Activist Should Read. Why haven’t I read We Should All Be Feminists yet??
- Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Fudge & Caramel Toffee Fudge & Gingerbread Fudge. One Christmas everyone I know is getting about eight different types of fudge.
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders. Yum!
- Clementine Hibiscus Marmalade. This sounds so, so tasty.
- Bourbon Soaked Cherry Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. I’m looking at these now and wondering why I haven’t made them yet. What’s wrong with me?
- Easy Spiked Hot Fudge. I like that making things festive means putting booze in them.
- Christmas Gingerbread Cake. Super cute.