Bit of a bumper edition since I didn’t post last week. That just means there’s more good stuff though, right?
Added to Wishlist
- Light Boxes – Shane Jones. This has really mixed reviews on Goodreads, but it sounds really unusual and has a fantastic cover, so I’m willing to give it a shot.
- Scorch Atlas – Blake Butler. Snapshots of the apocalypse. Sounds good to me.
- Our Spoons Came From Woolworths – Barbara Comyns. A Virago Modern Classic, which is always a good start. I’m a fan of books written in a wry tone and this sounds like it fits the bill.
- And The Trees Crept In – Dawn Kurtagich. I’ve been disappointed by several horrors lately, but I live in hope. The title of this one is enough to draw me in.
- The Wolf Road – Beth Lewis. I’m not usually that into thrillers, but this one sounds like it has a lot of potential.
- The Terranauts – T.C. Boyle. This sounds like a literary version of Biodome, which, yeah okay 😀
- The Lost Girl – Sangu Mandanna. Clones!! Clones that exist to replace their originals should their originals die! CLONES!!!
- Black Beast – Nenia Campbell. This looks like it might be not so good, but I’m always happy to read a new spin on werewolves, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for it.
Articles of Note
- Sister Act: Female Friendship in Fiction from Woolf to Ferrante and Zadie Smith. I’m all for female friendship in any and all of the media I consume, but I’ve read shockingly few of the books referenced in this article.
- Cloud Atlas ‘Astonishingly Different’ in US and UK Editions, Finds Study. Mind = BLOWN. I’ve always assumed that the difference between UK and US editions of novels would be simple word changes (‘mum’ to ‘mom’, ‘trainers’ to ‘sneakers’ etc.). To learn that the differences can be so much deeper is insane.
- 14 Girl Power Comic Books You Should Definitely Read This Summer. I’m not a fan of the Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn series they’ve included, though I’m a fan of other incarnations of both characters, and I give my regular reminder that the artist of Rat Queens is a domestic abuser. These things aside, this is a pretty good starter list for comics with kick-ass female characters. I haven’t heard of Concrete Park before but am definitely going to look into it because it looks brilliant.
- Bryan Fuller Reveals Details About Star Trek: Discovery. I’m a little disappointed at the time they’ve decided to set the new series in, but I’m still pretty excited.
- Andy Murray Slaps Down John Inverdale’s Claim He Was First With Two Tennis Golds. Yaaass Andy Murray! Inverdale continues to make massively offensive comments about women and yet he continues to be employed by a major, publicly-funded television station. I wish I could say I was surprised.
- Lost Cities. A series of articles over at The Guardian telling the story of cities history has almost forgotten. Some excellent stuff in there.
- 100 Must-Read Titles About Women’s History. I love that this doesn’t fall into the trap of thinking that white Western history is world history. That said, I’ve only read 1 of the books on the list (Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi)…
- Three Things That Need To Happen Before I Defend Men From Olympic Sexism. Yep, yep.
- Terry Pratchett’s ‘Artist of Choice’ on Illustrating Discworld. The move from Kirby to Kidby was jarring for me, as Kirby’s Discworld is a much messier place than Kidby’s, but I do love the life that shines through in all of Kidby’s illustrations.
- Meet The Great British Bake Off Illustrator: Tom Hovey. An old article, but with Bake Off coming back this week (yay!) it’s still relevant. The illustrations of the bakes is such a wonderful part of the show. I’m trying quite hard to overlook the fact that it’s a job he got because he knew the right people though. Britain’s ‘meritocracy’ strikes again.
- Marvel’s Runaways Getting Hulu Series from The OC/Chuck Creator. AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! <3 <3 <3
- 5 YA Sci-Fi & Fantasy Series Adults Need To Read. I can’t wait for Aerie to come out. Excitement!
- Irish Woman Live-Tweets Journey for Abortion in Great Britain. This makes me so fucking sad. REPEAL THE 8TH.
I’ve been looking into making cakes in jars lately, for a camping trip my boyfriend and his family are going on, but here are a rake of totally unrelated recipes that I got distracted by.
- Pork Medallions with Blackberry and Apple Sauce. If one of you fancies making this for me right now, that’d be amazing 😉
- Chicken Pepperoni Casserole. So much cheese <3
- Blackcurrant Baked Alaska. I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever take the time needed to make a baked alaska, but they’re soooo good.
- Raspberry Ricotta Pancakes. For those lazy Sunday brunches that I never have because I suspect I’d need to be a little bit sozzled to think it was a good idea to put so much effort in on my day off.
- Double Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Stuffed Cookies. The raspberries make them healthy. Obviously.