I’ve added some new social media buttons at the top of the page, so feel free to add me on any platform you like. The Goodreads button doesn’t look right next to the others, so I think I’ll have to redo that at some point. I also upgraded to the latest version of WordPress and for some reason it’s no longer displaying my font choice for my headers. I’ve been through the css file and everything looks fine there, but it’s still stubbornly displaying headers in a plain font. And for some reason, my LibraryThing widget doesn’t seem to be updating my ‘recently acquired books’ and I don’t know why. Such frustrations!
Added to my Wishlist
- One Bold Deed of Open Treason: The Berlin Diary of Roger Casement, 1914-1916 – Angus Mitchell (ed.). The more I learn about Roger Casement, the more intrigued by him I become. He was a man of many, often contradictory, sides and his final diaries look like a fascinating read.
- Reboot – Amy Tintera. I love the sound of the premise of this novel – when you die you are brought back as a Reboot, but the longer you were dead, the less human you are when you wake up.
- Binti – Nndei Okorafor. An intriguing sounding sci-fi novella with a brilliant cover. Like, even if this didn’t sound like it was going to be a good read, I’d probably still want it thanks to that cover.
- The Bob’s Burgers Burger Book: Real Recipes for Joke Burgers – Loren Bouchard & Cole Bowden. You guys, there’s a Bob’s Burgers cookbook! Want!
- A General Theory of Oblivion – Jose Eduardo Agualusa. A woman bricks herself into her apartment on the eve of Angolan independence and lives in isolation for thirty years. A cracking concept.
Articles of Note
- Neil Gaiman to Adapt Good Omens as a Miniseries with Terry Pratchett’s Posthumous Blessing. Excellent news!
- 9 Feminist Comics Everyone Should Read. I’ve only read three titles on this list (Ms Marvel, Bitch Planet and Rat Queens) which makes me feel like I’m underperforming as a feminist comic fan. How good does Monstress look, by the way??
- 5 Superhero Powers Nobody Realises Could Save The World. Some excellent points here. Marvel did deal with this briefly by having Angel donate blood at a children’s hospital when he had healing powers. But he only did it the once, because screw those kids, man.
- Should We Scrap Benefits and Pay Everyone £100 a Week? An absolutely fascinating read about the benefits of a universal basic income.
- Lost Poets’ Society House Where WB Yeats Used to Visiton the Market for €2m. If one of you has a spare two million euro, could you do me a solid and buy me this house? Thanks!
- Sara Pascoe: ‘Boob jobs are viewed as a decorative tweak, but these women are self-harming’. A bold statement, but she makes some interesting points about how weird it is that cosmetic surgery is seen as a totally normal thing.
- The Writing’s on the Wall: Pleasure In A Good Novel. An absolutely beautiful wallpaper with a quote from Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey.
- Rosemary Gimlet. Luckily for me, I have all the ingredients for the delicious looking cocktail in my kitchen. Hurrah!
- Red Russian with Rosemary Simply Syrup. I love raspberries, and I love rosemary so this is a winner for me.
- Mixed Berry Margarita. I’m going to have to buy some tequila before I make this, but I’m alright with another trip to the off-license.
- Gin & Tonic in Pimm’s Style. Would it be wrong to invite people to a barbecue just so I can make this?
- Cranberry Pear Prosecco Cocktail. Although I rarely buy it, I’m going through a prosecco phase at the moment. Maybe I can cadge a bottle of it out of someone for my birthday.