Added to my Wishlist
- Rhubarbaria: Recipes for Rhubarb – Mary Prior. I LOVE rhubarb, love it, and I have a huge collection of recipes with rhubarb as their star ingredient, but I can never have too many, and I don’t know anything about its history, so this book looks perfect.
- Withering-by-Sea – Judith Rossell. Featuring a creepy Victorian hotel, a spirited and determined heroine, and magic. Yes, please!
- Sleeping Giants – Sylvain Neuvel. Apparently this ‘ masterfully blends sci-fi, political thriller and apocalyptic fiction’ so that all sounds pretty good.
- I’ll Meet You There – Heather Demetrios. This has the potential to be a depressing read, but there’s just something about the blurb that’s pulled me in.
Articles of Note
- Ireland Still Without a Government After Third Failure to Pick Taoiseach & No Government Costs Clock. So we’re trying a new thing in Ireland where despite having elections we don’t bother to form a government, which means that everyone still gets paid and we’re all happy. Not.
- First Look at Ghost in the Shell Reminds Us Hollywood Still Whitewashes Everything & Why Max Landis is Wrong About Scarlett Johansson’s ‘Whitewashed’ Ghost in the Shell Remake. While it doesn’t necessary surprise me that Hollywood keeps doing this, it irks me that actors keep taking the roles and writers/directors keep trying to say that there’s no problem.
- Why Has Astronaut Helen Sharman Been Written Out of History? It was insulting when the UK Space Agency decided that Helen Sharman wasn’t an ‘official’ astronaut. Just like that time the media decided that Virginia Wade didn’t count as a British Wimbledon Champion because she was a woman.
- 5 Reasons Everyone Should Re-Read Harry Potter After 30. I actually am rereading the Harry Potter series at the moment, but to be honest I’m struggling with it a bit. The first two books were fine, but after that you spend a significant part of each book desperately wishing that Bloomsbury had forced a ruthless editor on J.K. Rowling.
- Female Creators Receive a Record Number of Eisner Award Nominations & Eisner Award Nominees: Oscars of the Comics World is No Boys’ Club. Whoop whoop!
- Nutella Melting Middle Cookies. These look AMAZING. The only worry is that I’ll eat them in one sitting when I’ve made them!
- Rhubarb Crisp Unicorn Cake / Riesling Rhubarb Crisp Cake. Remember how I mentioned how much I love rhubarb? Just look at these cakes!!
- The Perfect Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake. Since this recipe and the last one come from the same book, I think we can all agree that I’m going to have to buy the book (Layered by Tessa Huff).
- Chicken Paprikash. The creamy sauce on this looks delicious.
- Fresh Mango Margarita Frosty. This totally counts as one of my five a day, right?
Playing: Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7
Just as addictive as the first, but with the added bonus of hilarious death scenes. I had to pause it when Sirius died so that I could laugh without missing anything. When possible, I always play as Hermione, because females are strong as hell 😉